AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Re: fake trailer plug post in Machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 6/2/2023 07:14 (#10253440)
Subject: Re: fake trailer plug post in Machinery

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

Didn't want to hijack that thread so I started this one. I'm just wondering, will all these fancy new "safety features" that are being designed into vehicles today make us more complacent when behind the wheel and cause a deterioration of already diminished driving skills? My vehicles are old enough (09 Chevy pickup and 11 Chevy Traverse) to not have some of the latest features but I have also noticed that I seem to have lost the ability to maintain a steady speed in anything but flat ground without the assistance of cruise control. I have also become heavily dependent on my aftermarket backup camera when hooking to a trailer. One of the local farmers here had a guy working for him for a short time who could not drive the service truck because it had a manual transmission. Another farmer has gone to all automatic transmissions in his grain trucks. As a society we seem to be in the process of becoming ever more dependent on automation and "gadgets" to do the work for us. Please don't misunderstand. I'm not against any of these things. Just wondering about the collective loss of skills. For example, when the satellite guidance system goes down on the planter tractor, how many just drop the marker and keep going?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)