AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heat source for new shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dnkag
Posted 4/7/2009 19:07 (#672647 - in reply to #672610)
Subject: Re: heat source for new shop

Lantry, SD
I have in floor heat in my 60x64 shop with 18x40 addition. I checked in to used oil boilers like KDD said and they were about 6,000. I think the on-demand heater that I got(Triangle Tube brand) cost a little over 2,000. I insulated my floor completely underneath. I can run my floor heat at 50deg all weekend and turn it up to 58-60 monday morning and It will be up to temp by noon. I also put 6) 3'x5' window on my south wall- they let in a lot of light and solar heat in the winter and at 45deg N Latitude the sun doesn't come in much in the summer time. There are many days in the winter when my shop will warm upring the day without the heater ever kicking on. When propane was high last winter it cost me 10dollars a day to heat the building to 55deg. this winter with cheaper propane and keeping it set at 60 it has cost me about 8 dollars a day. My propane guy actually came in and looked at the heater last time he filled because he was impressed with how efficient it has been. I have a friend with a similar sized shop with the floor insulated around the outside edge and has electric boilers and I think his heat is costing him roughly a third more. One nice thing about the boiler I put in is it takes up very little space- All of the plumbing components and the boiler are on one wall in my utility room- the boiler is about the size of a medicine cabinet and all of the plumbing comes in right underneath it. I would NEVER build a building without in floor heat again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)