AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heat source for new shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 4/7/2009 17:03 (#672555 - in reply to #672431)
Subject: Re: heat source for new shop

Leesburg, Ohio
Waste oil heaters are expensive to buy, very high maintenance required, and take huge amounts of used oil to run. Waste oil boilers to run floor heat are even more expensive to buy. I looked into it when we built our shop in '03, and decided the in-floor heat was a requirement, and we are glad we put it in. The heater to run used oil for the heat source was an additional $6000. We only have about $5-6000 total in our whole in-floor system, including the 95% efficient gas water heater for the heat source. Couldn't see doubling the up-front price if it meant way more maintenance and scrounging around all the time for oil. We have a neighbor that has a waste oil burner for forced-air heat in his shop, and he gets all our oil, and every bit of oil he can find around the community, and barely gets by, and has to work on the system alot to keep it clean and running.

If I were doing it again, I would consider a corn boiler, or geothermal. Higher cost up-front than our gas water heater, but much less maintenance than waste oil and still cheap to run.

That said, our gas bills for the shop are not any more than our house, and we never turn it down...always set at about 60 degrees, and feels as warm as our house, and it's set at 72.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)