AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heat source for new shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 4/7/2009 18:48 (#672630 - in reply to #672610)
Subject: Re: heat source for new shop

Leesburg, Ohio
Just to clarify some things about the last two posts, from my perspective:

There's nothing wrong with tube heaters for many applications, they do the job. I don't think, though, for most farm-shop-size buildings that in-floor heat has to cost 4x what tube heaters would. I priced both. At the time, it was maybe 1.5x for in-floor vs. tubes. That was here, then, but the relationship probably hasn't changed much.

....."Floor heat is the best if you are going to work in the shop every day all day. You can't shut it down for a long weekend and come back Monday morning and have it back to 70 degrees in a couple hours like you can with forced air......."

First, you don't need to crank floor heat up to 70 degrees to be warm anyway, like you do with forced air. There are no drafts, and the whole floor and everything inside is warm through. At 70 degrees, you will be way too hot. Secondly, if you shut it off for the weekend, it will probably still be fairly warm when you come back on Monday, except in the dead of winter...it takes just as long for heat to leave as it does to warm it back up. Third, whether I'm in the shop all day every day, or just occasionally during the week, once you try floor heat, you will want it on all the time. Turning the heat off and trying to re-warm with forced air won't really save a ton of money, and everything will still be cold for a day or so, and floor will ALWAYS be cold.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)