AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting ripped off on a tractor purchase.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 3/26/2009 17:57 (#657673 - in reply to #657611)
Subject: Re: Getting ripped off on a tractor purchase.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Depends a little on what you paid for the 806, was it cheap, average or a premium price for an 806 in that condition ? If it was cheap, you now have a not quite so cheap tractor with a new 0 hour clutch.

If there were no symptoms of clutch failure, it may have been nearly as much of an unpleasant surprise to the seller as it was to you the buyer. If you paid him a premium for an above average tractor, them maybe he should feel a little obligation to foot part of the bill.

I was part of a deal like this when selling a 20 year old combine that we had run since new. The little 542 Oliver still ran good and I advertised it as such. A young fellow came to look, jewed me down a few hundred $ on the price, loaded it on a machinery truck he hired, and went home.
About a month later at the start of harvest, he called, very frustrated and hot. Said the VS drive pulley stripped out a drive key on the ground drive and the new pulley was going to cost about what I got for the combine. He was really upset and said I had to know that it was bad as it failed immediately after getting it to the field.
I said sorry no, It had no symptoms of trouble and was working when you guys drove it up the steep trailer ramps
You would not have made it with that key sheared. I also reminded him that the thing was 20+ years old.
When he settled down a bit I asked him to take the worn pulley shieve down to the local machine shop to see if they could weld and recut that worn keyway. He did, and called back to say the rebuild would cost $400.
I said I would pay half of that repair. He did and got good service out of the combine that harvest.

I had included all the new, never used direct cutting parts (reel, knife , guards etc.) with the combine, all grain "here" was winrowed at the time. The next year he wanted to use those parts and found that the little header snouts were missing, had been removed to bolt on the windrow pickup. He called to ask if I had them ? Said, don't know but will look .
Found them in a back corner of the shed and called to tell him.
He showed up to get them and asked what I wanted for them ? Told him they were part of his combine and sorry I missed them last year. He was kind of embarrassed as he had roto rootered my ears pretty good the year before, while thinking I stuck it to him. I told him I understood how upset he was when the thing gave trouble from the first acre. We finished the deal with no hard feelings.

Edited by Jon Hagen 3/26/2009 18:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)