AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

forklift
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 10/5/2008 01:23 (#475136 - in reply to #474737)
Subject: Re: forklift

We bought an old Toyota 5,000# forktruck 4 years ago. Was one of the best purchases we ever made on the farm. We had been using a tractor loader with pallet forks to load minibulk bags. Bought this one from a friend who was getting out of the seed business.

It has pneumatic tires, which if you're going to be outside is a must & is gasoline. Gas is handy because of ease of filling but if doing over I'd probably go to propane to reduce emissions when working inside a closed building for an extended period. Other things I would purchase on the next one is sideshift & one with a toque converter instead of a gear tranny.

After owning a forklift I realise how unsafe trying to load min bulks into a wagon was with the tracor loader. Also lots of other uses around the farm, even have used it to hang parts to dry after painting. Always wanted a jib crane unti we bought the forklift .

We never have had problems with it out on the gravel barnlot but the older part of our shop / storage shed has gravel floor in part & have gotten hung up there a few times. That gravel never has had rain on it so it never has packed like the barnlot. Even took it out in the grass a couple times when it was really dry but you don't want to let it sit, drive up , drop load & back right out or you're hung up.

As others have said, find a local serviceman & buy what he works on. We got lucky & found an independent serviceman that services forktrucks for several business in a nearby town. Lot cheaper than having a company service department work on one

Edited by boog 10/5/2008 01:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)