AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery, labour costs, and big farms...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 10/6/2007 16:22 (#215371 - in reply to #215319)
Subject: RE: Machinery, labour costs, and big farms...

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
Mad Max Perf - 10/6/2007 11:32

I am in Northeast sask, and sure sympathize with your harvest issues. We have very similar seasons as you, and usually don't worry about getting rain. I find it a bit tough when the big boys are buying fancy, cozy, and big equipment too, but I also see them a few years later in the auction flyers. LOL Most guys are at least 2000 around here, several 5000, and one dude who is at 17 000, and I swear he's no better than me under our cropping conditions wioth the tiny seeding and harvest window in our area. He always leaves out crop, he hires 13 guys, and when some don't show up, he just doesn't getter done. He always is short on labour, and after his 5 combine payments, his half million dollar payroll, and his tractor/drill payments, I just don't see it working. He is always stressed out, always struggling for credit, and i'm glad I have what I have.

Congrats on starting out on your own. This is my position exactly. That, I believe is the biggest difference in farmers today, generally. When they have a step up on us little guys, they often had their dad, uncle, gramps around to kick start 'em. If not financially, then credit capacity wise, labour wise, etc.....

My buddy farms with a 30 000 dollar tractor. He bought this, yes, but daddy bought the 125 000 dollar drill! Frustrating indeed.

Good luck with the snow. been there, done that, and it aint fun at all when November approaches, and your snowed in.
My size ideal? 2000. If I can't make it with 2000, I will quit!

PS do you like your 8820?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)