AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery, labour costs, and big farms...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 10/6/2007 13:32 (#215319 - in reply to #215286)
Subject: RE: Machinery, labour costs, and big farms...

North Western Alberta
Hey man, Im in Northern Alberta, and all my equipment, except my grain vac and my Drill are like yours. I have an 87 8820 Deere, and I DO have holes in it. I had to replace the bubble up auger this year, and the auger housing, due to my combine seeding a nice rwo of canola in the fields.. lol I patched it with JB weld and heavy cnavas last fall, and finished up, but had that done this year. I have 4200 hours on it now, and will have to run it quite a few more years Id say.
I drool when I see some of these big farmers on here, and wish that was me, but It will mean my lifetime probably to get anywhere near that. I have neeighbours who are at 9000 acres, and 5000 acres, but I work full time to support the farm, and only have 1000 acres.
My father in law is a deere salesman, and he has shown me on paper how it pencils out for the big guys, and it does. However, a failure year can mean HUGE losses, and thats why they have to go after HUGE yeilds. I am trying too, but I have had two bad years now, and my crop is still in the field as we speak, but the snow is melting, so hopefully I get it off, or Im 100 grand poorer. The balance for me is trying to upgrade equipment to good clean used stuff, and not letting the payments get too high. I have a dream in the back of my head of about 2500 to 3000 acres and some nice equipment, but that will probably never materialize.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)