AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Hybrid labeling---companies using the same genetics.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 8/20/2007 16:31 (#190269 - in reply to #190232)
Subject: RE: Greenleaf - As Explained to Me

Colby, Kansas
Gary,

I think that the types of material that GreenLeaf will license are so far back in the commercialization process that you really won't care about its identification, for example 4546R34T x 6987Q42B probably won't mean much to you, me, or anyone else outside of the breeders making crosses. Also the chances of a licensed material being crossed with the same parents and making it to market as an identical product to some other company's product is not likely.

You bring up a good point about what these companies would/would not want the customer to know. Syngenta swears up and down that the multiple brands (Garst, Golden Harvest, NK) will not be selling the same seed products in different bags (In my mind I believe its only a matter of time). When the breeding programs were combined, it was noted that the only part combined was parent line development, each company still has breeders that select from those parent lines to develop their own products. I would imagine that labeling requirements across brands would not be looked upon favorably if/when pooling further down the commercialization line happens.

I'm not sure how much of a change some of this really is as several years ago the Houldens white cob product was present as Garst 8546, Golden Harvest 2547, and Cargill 6888. Wish I could have the product back in my lineup, but thats another story.

Just my $0.04 (inflation you know)
Lucas

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)