AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should I add stalls or sell cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tim in WI
Posted 11/4/2011 21:25 (#2033863 - in reply to #2033378)
Subject: Re: Should I add stalls or sell cows?

Embarrass WI

BMR will have weaker stalks. If you want stronger stalks, the strength will come from lignin, the very same stuff that makes it less digestible. You have to choose between stalk strength or digestibility(IMO). I choose digestibility, everyone will have a different idea.

Regarding yield drag....25% is probably not out of line if you compare average BMR yields to the very best grain corn yields. 'Here', most grain corn planted is 92-97 RM. I have been planting BMR rated at 112 day, it dents later than the grain corn but still reaches silage stage maturity in plenty of time...there is no need for it to go to black layer. By doing this, I can make up for most of the yield drag.

I have had several BMR silage samples that showed a NEL of .87....higher than ground ear corn. It doesn't seem like as much of a yield drag then, when you look at harvesting the equivalent of 15-20 ton of earlage per acre. Your mileage may vary. I don't sell BMR(or any seed), but I have been planting it since Cargill started experimenting with it back in the 90's.

If you've been happy with what you're doing, don't change for me. If you'd like to try some BMR, just plant a few bags and keep it segregated(easy for me, since I bag everything anyway). Then do a feeding trial and see if it makes a difference. When I did that, way back when, BMR over regular silage was good for 6 lbs. milk/day.(No other changes) If you do this, don't merely sub BMR for regular if you are feeding a fairly 'hot' ration, you will put your cows over the edge. If you're feeding a fair amount of corn, you will need to take some out or you will give your cows acidosis.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)