AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wives who work at off-farm or work-at-home jobs: what do you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

beh
Posted 1/31/2011 01:06 (#1582774 - in reply to #1579717)
Subject: Re: Wives who work at off-farm or work-at-home jobs: what do you do?

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
I am going to realistic here.

I have no clue what your education is, what your current job is (other than something to do with food), or what your income expectations are. Coming out of corporate America you may have a total different slant on what a wage that you can 'buy groceries, make home repairs, and save for a car' is.

I grew up in a home where Mom never worked. We never knew any different. I am not saying that 'stay at home' is the right thing or the wrong thing. What I do know, is we did make sacrifices, my dad worked his butt off to have a wife who could stay at home with 4 kids, put a good meal on the table 3 times a day, provide health insurance, and any other NEED we had while balancing that work load with being a father.

As far as jobs go, the more rural you get the more fierce the competition. Small towns need Doctors. Small towns have lots of business degrees that are put to work for $10/hr. Supply and demand. Lots of farm wives and only so many jobs in teaching, county, REA, telephone company etc on the backroads of America. It is very political. Qualifications often have little to do with who does and does not get hired. There are good jobs, be patient, it will show up.

When you move to rural community, if you work in the community, you never leave your job. People know how and where to get ahold of you 24/7. Friday night, basketball game, sat next to the county treasurer, three people came up and asked what it was going to cost to tag vehicle X if they bought it. Customers and noncustomers alike, church, ball games, whatever--can you cut my wheat? What is cutting going to cost this year? In a small town you can't run and hide. That will not change.

From a personal standpoint, I know others who go are going through what you are. Either looking at getting married or married and still waiting for that better job to come open. My sister is educated as a chemist and runs the copy desk at the Kearney Hub newspaper. A degree that in the 'city' is worth $60K to well into 6 figures. Makes $34K. It is what it is. She is happily married to a farmer, they have 2 beautiful children. She continues to search; there is not much there.

Ok, I just got in and need a shower. I hope this was helpful, it was not meant to be discouraging; rather realistic. There are good jobs, you will find one. I hope sooner than later!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)