AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wives who work at off-farm or work-at-home jobs: what do you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

ahaygal
Posted 1/30/2011 10:50 (#1581071 - in reply to #1579717)
Subject: Re: Wives who work at off-farm or work-at-home jobs: what do you do?

Saronville, NE
Hi Dawn! Some really good ideas in these posts...I liked the last poster's ideas best. It sounds like you have various interests that might fit into small-town businesses to help offset the farm income. I am a Speech Pathologist and I'm now working out of York, NE, where my daughter is at the hospital daycare right across the street from me. In my prior job (which I left in late June) in Grand Island I was always locked into an 8-6 schedule 4-1/2 days a week with Shannon in daycare in a different town. It was so tough to be leaving work at 6:00 when it was already dark with a 42-mile drive ahead of me! I am really enjoying my new position and the people at this smaller facility are much friendlier AND so appreciative! I am not locked into a schedule now, and I leave when I'm done seeing my patients every day when my dictation and paperwork are done. One downside is that as I'm now only working "part-time" (24-36 hrs) we are buying health insurance out of pocket because it's lower priced than at work, but so far it's been okay. I have also been considering what other endeavors I could create to work off the farm rather than for someone else, but I really enjoy my town job now and I worked hard for my degree. Since Shannon was born I feel like I totally lost my creative side, and no longer take time for hobbies I once enjoyed like jewelry-making, scrapbooking, and polymer clay. I don't know how that happened, but I've been really depressed about things and decided it was time to make some changes. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to join a company with a home-based business selling scrapbooking and stamping supplies. I thought it might help me meet people (I work out of town and even though I moved out here in 2007, I still feel like I don't know many people) as well as get back into a hobby I once really enjoyed. We'll see how it goes! Good luck to you in your new endeavors and remember that there are so many on this site who can offer support and advice, as you already know!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)