AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wives who work at off-farm or work-at-home jobs: what do you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Geargrinder
Posted 1/29/2011 19:07 (#1580174 - in reply to #1579941)
Subject: Re: Wives who work at off-farm or work-at-home jobs: what do you do?

MN
Mrs. Geargrinder here..... I've worked off the farm for the past 20 years and can identify with the not wanting to go to work, but need to go for the health insurance, etc. I actually work more than full-time - have a second casual job at the local hospital, but that's only about 40-50 hours per year... a little extra Christmas cash. I've been looking at some internet stores and I have also started a little local newsletter (carrying over from a paper edition from someone else) which does a little better than break-even. I want to try to figure out how to get some of the affiliate links on my local newsletter web site - right now I have a what you see is what you get web site from 1and1.com. I do have another web site parked (www.farmterritory.com) trying to pick up a little extra cash. You might be able to do an internet store if you can figure out a product that you want to try to sell - they are all over the place and don't look too difficult to set up. If you are already in sales, you probably would have some ideas! The health insurance (depending on the state) might not be as scary as you think for just yourself and the husband. Sometimes I think the news media scare people with the potential costs, but when you start subtracting some of the costs of working (commute, clothing, meals out, etc.) might be easier to pencil out - its when you start adding kids to the insurance mix that it gets a little more expensive! My husband has talked me down more than once but I switched jobs and that was better - every job has its drawbacks - but I have better health insurance, dental, etc. but now waiting for the lay-off ax to fall sometime. Another idea would be to check out community ed programs - can you teach sessions for that? or look for adjunct teaching positions with the colleges - I did that for awhile too - but that isn't real stable, but it is income. Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)