AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

church hoppers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 7/11/2010 17:14 (#1269067 - in reply to #1266121)
Subject: Re: church hoppers?

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS
Edairy, Like Mike SE IL I have pondered much over this reply. In fact, because I have been somewhat busier than normal over the past few days (funeral yesterday) I have waited until I had some time to think, consider, and formulate a reply before I wrote. As you can see from my "handle" I have something of a vested interest in this sort of thing. Also, if you (or anyone else) wish to contact me privately my email is in my profile.
I'm sure that I view "church" somewhat differently than most people. Many I talk to seem to go to church for what they can get out of it. While there is certainly nothing wrong and a great deal right with getting something out of church, I would borrow a phrase from JFK - "Ask not what the church can do for you, but what you can do for the church." A few years ago a fellow was considering attending the congregation where I was preaching. His sole concern was what programs we had available for his children. There were no questions concerning what was being taught (doctrine), who was doing the teaching (character), or what was being used as source material (the Bible). I have found his attitude to be rather common.

So what are the important factors in "choosing a church." I know that the phrase "attend the church of your choice" is a common and popular phrase, but how should that choice be made? I will not pretend that I am covering this topic thoroughly. I am being very brief (in spite of the length of this post) and MUCH more could be said.
1) What is being taught? Those who teach contrary to the gospel are "accursed." (Galatians 1:6-9)
2) Who is teaching/leading? Many CLAIM to love and obey Jesus, but actions speak louder than words. (Matthew 7:15-23)
3) Along the same lines as #1, what "source material" is being used? Is the preacher a proponent of a "social gospel" or is he committed to the word of God? Is he a student of the Word or is he a human philosopher?

God has revealed to us all that we need to know (2 Peter 1:3). To fall short or to go beyond what He has commanded puts one on rough seas in a leaky boat with no rudder or sails (cf. 2 John 9; Revelation 22:18, 19). And yes, I recognize that we all fall short in something (Romans 3:9, 23) and that no one will be saved without God's grace, but that is not the point I am attempting to make.

The question comes down to this: Who gets to decide "which church?" God or us? If I make that decision based on my own preferences I will probably be wrong. If I compare any religious group to God's word and make my decision based on that, I will be making a good decision.

I hope some of this makes some sense.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)