AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newbie needs help with 86 acres in Western Washington
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nickeischeid
Posted 5/11/2023 21:55 (#10225625 - in reply to #10225152)
Subject: RE: Newbie needs help with 86 acres in Western Washington

North central TX
More continued-
For feeders and waterers, you need to figure out what feed stocks you will likely be using. Here, for mature cows, we mostly feed range cubes, less commonly liquid feed, and hay. Calves may or may not get supplemental feed on the cow in the form of creep pellets on self feeders. Most guys who use range cubes either feed them by hand (buckets or whole 50lb sacks) or have a trip feeder on the back of the truck and we feed every few days to supplement hay in the winter. Most guys feed cubes directly on the ground on the range, I feed by hand and use concrete H bunks, wooden home made H bunks, or even 55 gal poly barrels bolted end to end on the ground depending on the pasture and what I have available. The hay is set on the ground and I use a hay ring to help reduce waste from the cows stepping on it. Some guys use elevated feeders and many don't use anything at all.
The water can be natural out of the wetland area or as simple as a water trough and garden hose stretched across the yard, or a buried waterline with automatic frost free waterers scattered across the place in multiple cross fenced paddocks.

I don't know your climate at all. How much time are they going to have to be on hay during the winter? And how are you going to get that hay? I know you said the climate is fairly mild. Does that mean that you keep green grass nearly yr round? Or you have 4 months of winter, but it doesn't stay cold? That's how it is here, 4 months of intermittent hard freezes that keep grass dormant, but rarely any severe cold spells longer than a week.

Given how you describe the land and climate, I would say you don't need any substantial shelter for cattle. They are hardy animals who are capable of surviving in some very extreme climates with very little help. That being said, a barn with working facilities adjacent or inside is a VERY useful thing to have. That way if you have a sick cow or calf there is somewhere to keep/isolate them and keep them comfortable and protected.

To start with, I don't know if I would be to concerned about anything except perimeter and "catch pen" fencing. You wont over graze your place with a small herd like you want to start with. And, with your rocky ground, you already know fencing is difficult. I would maybe look into a rock bit auger for the tractor or excavator to drill the post holes without getting into the amount of work you found doing the garden fence.

I don't know anything about bears and cattle, mountain lions (at least the few we have here) don't seem to mess with the cattle much. That's more of a question for the cattlemen in your area

Don't waste your time on a horse imo, unless you just want one for the family or whatever. You don't need one for that small an acreage or number of cows. A 4 wheeler or utv will serve you much better across the multitude of chores on a farm/ranch.
Again. Just my opinion.

Many people report that they are having trouble finding a large animal vet to serve them within a reasonable distance. So that might be something to look into prior to any purchase. The first few years you'll want to lean heavily on a vet or a trusted neighbor or friend with cattle experience in your area to ensure you vaccinate for the appropriate diseases, keep the right meds on hand, and learn the proper meds and methods as well as good handling techniques for large animals.

I'm sure I didn't hit everything, and these are just one way out of the millions. Any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's an amazing amount of knowledge here on this site!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)