AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newbie needs help with 86 acres in Western Washington
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Joelx
Posted 5/13/2023 08:38 (#10227242 - in reply to #10226838)
Subject: RE: Newbie needs help with 86 acres in Western Washington

Thank you Terry! The advice is great. I am looking for partners in doing this. Right now, I am going to partner with a neighbor or two with previous experience, and I called the local sale barn and got a referral to a pro who may help in exchange for running some cattle on the property for free. He said he thought I could stock 75 head of cattle, which seems like a lot to me and makes me worried he is looking out for #1. He also said I needed no additional fencing beyond the chain link... But that also makes me nervous especially as I am next to a highway.

I have read a book on caring for dairy cows (though I am doing beef to start) and a pasture management book for beef cows. I don't do podcasts, but I watch tons of YouTube videos including some of those you mentioned. I have more books to read as well.

The Pasture Management guy talked about Silviopasture too .. I want to try to make that work.

I am thinking about building the fence by using my 27,000 lb excavator to push posts into the ground, but I am worried about the rocky ground. I might try a test post today. I was thinking about going with electric fence with 3-5 wires?

I will definitely post updates as I go along!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)