AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rapid City Beef packing plant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Bubba David
Posted 6/1/2022 21:23 (#9686667 - in reply to #9686574)
Subject: RE: Rapid City Beef packing plant

SC KS
lacockcattleco - 6/1/2022 20:32

I believe that you need to do a little research on the number of cattle coming out of Canada just for slaughter. ALOT go right past heading to Greely. Perfect place to dump off halfway there. Rapid City is much closer than most places they travel. Montana is limited by the distance to kill plants, more calves will be finished here if there’s a good option. I sure will be excited about that. Kill cows? Where do you think pile of them come from? Kuna has done very well off that.

My northern fats are always complimented on and on about how much better they are than southern cattle. 60+% prime this year on the whole bunch. Cattle gain better in cooler weather. They’re intakes are higher and better conversion. Movement helps create marbling that doesn’t happen when it is to hot to f$&@. I’ve had Cattle in and visited enough feedlots in the Midwest to realize we have an extreme advantage here to finish cattle. Read on here for 2 minutes about all the mud. We don’t have any. Humidity? What’s that?

Idgaf what you need in the south for a feeder calf. Why would I Change my herd to suit your needs when we can do it better here?

I don’t believe they are planning to source all the cattle within 90 miles of rapid city.

If they are paying for Cattle they will travel along ways. We send white fat cows from here to Green Bay a lot. 1280 miles. Freight is paid because they want the better quality.

With record profits they don’t need to be at full capacity to pay for the plant. I’m certain they have spent big money researching all of these aspects and probably found the logistics favorable.

Contrary to popular belief there are many other feedstuffs to fatten Cattle on besides corn. Southern guys better be getting nervous when we all start cutting Down our cow numbers and finishing all our own calves.

Well I’m still researching because I felt like I’m missing something that’s why I posted :)

I agree cooler temps will help a lot with gain, but if a lot of them come from Canada, I highly doubt they will come up with those numbers from December to April because it’s so cold. And, I realize that there’s other things to use then corn, but the fact that the north country has had to haul hay out of Nebraska, they have enough trouble feeding cows, let alone learn how to fatten cattle.

If guys In the north start holding back cattle it won’t really effect southern feeders much imo because so many cattle that get started and finished in feedlots come from anywhere from Arizona to Pennsylvania. Plus, southern ranchers are better at producing a calf with a bigger frame that’s a lot easier to put weight on then a plump northern calf, which is why the big buyers stay south and the majority of cattle that go to yards end up coming from the south.

Any size of packer in that country would work great if guys could learn how to fatten cattle, I just feel 8,000 head a day is a little excessive. Especially with the possibility that it’s our dollars paying for this…

Edited by Bubba David 6/1/2022 21:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)