AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rapid City Beef packing plant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kochia
Posted 6/2/2022 15:01 (#9687687 - in reply to #9686480)
Subject: RE: Rapid City Beef packing plant

MT-ND
A rebuttal to your rant:

In the 150 years of this ranch selling cattle, the furthest south cattle have been shipped was Nebraska. So apparently that's a "Northern feedlot" I guess. They aren't high balling out of the gate either, nor do they have to run at capacity either. Eastern MT, ND, and West and Central SD could easily provide that, given a decent market. That's what we used to do, along with quite a few others in my area, from calf to railcar to Fargo to be hamburger and steaks. We're doing that again, not for a big plant, but for the many small plants around here. Give it a few years, if they'll pay well, the infrastructure will happen. Where are you getting the "90 mile" thing anyways? Any article I've found so far hasn't mentioned "90 miles".

Take a look at the banana belt of SW ND. Corn, corn, corn, sunflowers, some wheat, more corn. 350 puts the "irritated" lands of the Yellowstone and Missouri in range. Also, as someone who runs cattle on poorer land than most of Western SD, yeah there's no guarantee feed will be a thing, yet there are still cows here? There are still cows on worse land in Wyoming too? There are cows in SD, I don't get your point here, feed is always hauled in no matter what, so what was your point?

They aren't going to be coming from the south, they'll be coming from the North. See my comment on if they make a decent market. You struggle to find trucks everywhere on this continent, what makes it special here?

Those with contracts can't keep those stores stocked if there was enough trucks as it is, nor do they apparently want to

Considering there is no cows in Kansas...

Union Stockyards was told the same, along with all their branches. Find a butcher up here that isn't booked into 2023 or 2024. Considering they tote automation compared to a "normal" plant, that will probably be their advantage.

Edited by Kochia 6/2/2022 15:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)