AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Riding mowers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

afx_guy
Posted 5/26/2009 15:16 (#723548 - in reply to #723129)
Subject: Re: Riding mowers

outside looking for more corn cobs
My dad bought a Cub Cadet AGS2130 several years ago. It's a gear drive with shaft from the engine to the transmission. The clutching was more like a car than a clutch as it was a 'push to go' with forward and reverse pedal. So no shifting to back up. That was really nice in some areas.
Only repeated problem I had with it was the transmission dipstick would get loose after 1.5-2 years and need to be replaced. That was a cheap part so I didn't complain.
Single time problems were the seat mounts broke through, and tierod ends wore out. That was fixed with fender washers & a MIG.

My grandparents place that I mowed almost every week took about 8-10 hours total, about 4-6 of that just on the mower. I mowed that for 3 or 4 years with the same mower.
The Kohler engine was a really good one. I never had a lick of trouble from it.
Fuel use was pretty good as long as the blades were sharp. 1 tank (3 gal) would last all day as long as the blades were sharp and grass wasn't too long.
Only replaced the deck drive belts once.
Never had the transmission apart, never changed more than filters and oil on the engine.

The headlight bulbs did tend to break, but that was my fault for running too fast in the rough areas. Besides, I found that if I need headlights on the mower, I'm either working too hard, or not starting early enough.

I think the mower had close to 600 hours on it now, and still runs & mows great. The clutch is starting to slip (mostly due to my egg head brother), so that will have to be reaplced if dad intends to keep it.
I'd buy one in a heart beat if I needed one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)