AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets talk residue movers, floating verses fixed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/27/2009 11:09 (#694546 - in reply to #694497)
Subject: An Idea for inconsistent surfaces (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I just remembered something that may help in your situation.

Just the other day I helped a customer install some of our screw adjust row cleaners with our 12.75" dia swept back toothed wheels on a DB44 24R22" planter. He had order Gfx units but w ran into fitup issues on this 22" planter in a couple spots which would require the JD long links so we traded him into screw adjust with depth bands rather than change the links.

This is a customer who does a lot of custom farming over a wide area in MN. He does everything from working the very highly worked ground which is then rolled with a coil packer to no till beans into cornstalks. Much of this is in very light sandy soil with lots of rocks.

We are trying something different here: Our Poly Depth bands on a screw adjust (non floating) row cleaner.

I have had several customers try this and tell me they like it.  The depth bands give the row unit just as bit of additional flotation up front to avoid gouging in very inconsistent fields where the row unit air pressure must be set for the harder sections of the field.

Adding depth bands to a fixed/but easily adjustable row cleaner may help solve your problem with the anhydrous tracks.

This would probably NOT be a good idea if you have 3 ft tall piles of cornstalks at places in the field but may help in some situations.  We have depth band kits (poly wheels plus longer bolts 2 per row unit kit) with different size depth bands for the 14" and 12.75" dia Trashwheels. The poly depth bands seem to wear well and hold up very well in rocks too.

Here's a picture of this planter.  Just an idea. Another tool in the toolbox. Maybe try a couple rows to see if this helps.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/27/2009 11:23

(Dawn_Screw_Adjust_12.75_row_cleaners_w_depth _bands_DB44_24R22_IMG_0172.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn_Screw_Adjust_12.75_row_cleaners_w_depth _bands_DB44_24R22_IMG_0172.JPG (108KB - 109 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)