AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets talk residue movers, floating verses fixed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Millhouse
Posted 4/26/2009 00:06 (#692915)
Subject: Lets talk residue movers, floating verses fixed.

South-central Nebraska
My new JD 1770 has fixed Yetter Shark tooth residue movers. No coulter. This has been the hardest part of the planter to figure out this year for myself. In our area we fertilized NH3 last fall which made berms of fluffy soil where the knife went. We haven't had much moisture over the winter or this spring to break down residue or melt down the soil. In addition, strong winds have blown the loose residue (both corn and bean) into "drifts." I thought my old Yetter fixed finger style movers did a better job than the Shark tooth. Maybe it is the extreme mellow, fluffy soil and unbroken down residue of this year. I am mostly no-till, does a floating residue mover fit these conditions better? Does a different style of tooth or finger work better? Seems like the Shark tooth moves soil and leaves the residue. I almost have troughs in some areas just from crossing from fluffy dry soil to residue covered firm and wet soil. I was initially set on going with fixed Dawn residue movers but the JD dealer insisted on the Yetter. I went with them under the asumption they would be fine. When does one work better than another. I'm thinking about trading fixed for floating and Shark tooth for finger tooth and not sure what brand either. But, I don't want to jump ahead if it is just the year and not the equipment. Enough rambling from me, what works for others?

I hope the first good rain melts my no-till fields down into something that resembles flat again!

Edited by Millhouse 4/26/2009 00:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)