AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pole buildings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

oldbones
Posted 3/3/2009 22:05 (#630849 - in reply to #630116)
Subject: RE: Pole buildings

Floyd County, Iowa
I used to be a dealer for Astro Buildings, and also sold individual components for pole buildings. I don't know how much experience you have in this area, so if you already are aware of the following, please don't be offended.

If the trusses are made by a reputable truss manufacturer, the size of the top and bottom chords are somewhat unimportant. It's the webbing that helps carry and transfers the weight. The manufacturer plugs in the numbers- span, pitch, top and bottom chord dead loads, top and bottom chord live loads, spacing, bearing.

The design computer then determines the top and bottom chord sizes, webbing sizes and locations, truss plate sizes, lateral bracing size and locations, endwall bracing, lifting points, etc.
The trusses are engineered. Check with your county zoning dept for recomended snow and wind loads in your area. In Iowa, it makes a difference whether the building is strictly ag or residential/commercial. Do yourself a favor and go with the more stringent if there's a difference. Don't forget to add for a ceiling load if that's a possibility in the future.

Just as important, if not more so, is to make sure you have enough wind and corner bracing in the walls.
A pole building company, such as Morton, Lester's, etc will have all this figured into their buildings. Many contractors will also do this, but make sure before you buy/build.
Another thing- use screws to secure the steel down instead of nails, They cost a bit more, but you'll never regret using screws.

Hope my 2 cents worth helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)