AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High fertlizer prices and fertlizer placement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 3/17/2008 06:33 (#335728 - in reply to #335126)
Subject: Re: High fertlizer prices and fertlizer placement...removal rate

Chebanse, IL.....

Bill, I don't mean to get involved here, but we've been using a removal rate program for some time now based on U of IL published figures in their Agronomy Handbook. I don't have proof of anything showing reduced rate banding vs b-cast vs removal rate vs bcast based on build-up/maintenance etc. To me, the removal rate program makes sense, especially w/yield monitors & good vari-rate spreaders & gps controllers.

However, I can tell you what it's like to now operate one farm that was previously run by a good farmer that used only small amounts of banding for 20 yrs. It's hard to get yields out of this farm in comparison to others known by us immediately nearby. The soil test results also show low readings. It's tough catching back up. Using removal rate on this farm calls for a lot of adjustment, or just going to blanket or variable rate spreading.

We've repeated soil tests a couple of times since starting the removal rate program on some farms. If the removal rate formula is truly wrong, wouldn't we see increasing or rapidly increasing P&K test results? We haven't.

Finally, I question myself every day on what's right or wrong about fertilizers, incl. N & Ph, & how to perfect it. I also don't suggest to anyone else that what we do would work for them.

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 3/17/2008 06:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)