AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Driveway stone----what size?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 3/11/2008 08:17 (#331295 - in reply to #330671)
Subject: Fabric, big stones, then small stoness

West Union, Illinois

Since we all seem to have different terms for similar things, let me put it in simple terms.  Put down fabric, then big stones, then small stones ... and don't get in a hurry about it.

My off-farm employer for several years is on some really weird soil.  It gets saturated and stays that way.  I'm told it is on top of a rock shelf that keep water from moving.  All I know is concrete floats out of the ground! Every year I had to take a winch on a pickup and realign the posts on the chain link fence gates. Pipe supports would raise out of the ground.  We had trouble with a propane loading bulkhead that kept creeping upward.  We finally took it out, dug a hole 6-8 feet in the ground, and poured the nicest pyramid you ever saw.  But it hasn't moved since then.  They replaced the fence and gate I was always realigning a few years ago and suspect they did something similar.

We needed more parking area on this stuff. so we put down fabric, then covered it with big stone, probably 2 inch stuff.  I say stone, because in our area both river gravel and crushed stone are readily available.  The problem with gravel is the round edges. It doesn't set up as well as the crushed stone does. Anyway, we put down the fabric and the big stone.  Then I took a loaded straight truck with tires needing replaced and drove over it for an afternoon.  Back and forth, change directions, good job for low man on the totem pole.

If we were a construction company we would have used a roller. However, that might not have accomplished what we did with the truck, because I suspect the truck had more weight per square inch than a roller would. Then we lived with it a while.  After a month or two we put down some more big stuff where it had settled and packed it again.  Then after a time we came back with road pack stone, the mix of 3/4 or so and fines that was talked about, and covered it.  It ended up being a great job.  Part of it is now a driveway, part of it is parking, part was used for tank storage for a while.  But if you do it right it will not move.

Oh, and the other thing about a driveway is control the speed.  If vehicles race down a driveway it will not stay together unless you start pouring thick concrete.  Put in your driveway, get some 15 MPH speed limit signs, and enforce it.  Really growl at the Fed Ex and UPS drivers.  Threaten any teenagers.  Drive slowly yourself. Speed kills driveways.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)