AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gasoline tank disposal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tc034
Posted 3/9/2008 21:49 (#330197 - in reply to #330084)
Subject: Re: Gasoline tank disposal

True fuel tank story. In Arkansas we used to use old 1000 gallon tanks for in ground duck blinds. I knew better than to just start wacking on the thing with a cutting torch so I set it off to the side until i had something to burn beside it to make sure it was safe to cut into. One spring we were loading our grain drill with bags so I put these beside the tank to burn them up to get rid of them. The wind was blowing pretty hard and the bags made a very hot fire. My dad and myself had just grabbed another big armfull of bags to throw on the fire when the tank started making a big whooshing noise. My dad said "it gonna blow" and we started running. I've never seen a late 50's overweight man run so fast, he was keeping up with me step for step with me being 30 yrs younger. While we were running the tank went BOOOOM! My brother said the tank went about 8 ft into the air. Since it was my idea to burn the bags by the tank my dad looked at me out of breath and said "damn boy, your gonna kill us all". The explosion blew one end completely out of the tank, this end travelled about forty feet, hit a piece of equipment and then landed about 50 ft away in the middle of the county road. Needless to say after the smoke cleared and nobody was hurt we all laughed so hard we couldnt stand up. I laughed out loud just typing this. Watch those old fuel tanks! Danger Danger
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)