AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gasoline tank disposal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 3/9/2008 17:25 (#329975 - in reply to #329794)
Subject: RE: Gasoline tank disposal

just a tish NE of central ND
Ya, is there really a safe way to destroy these? Even driving a dozer over one of these could prove exciting.Have a friend that was going to cut a smaller one (gas tank) open for a hog roaster.Well it hadn't even had the fittings in it for years and he PRE TESTED it by lighting a weighted down rag and tossing it over to the bung............BOOM! , she blew and rolled on fire down agains his barn.It knocked him on his arsh and he bot up and chased the burning barrel and got it away from the barn. He survived the first, second and third degree burn he got on his face and hands.
There has to be a better way. My welder son says he welds hot oil tanks /fuel tanks buy filling them with Argon first before welding to force out the oxygen. So far, so good.
Around here a gas tank could have been hauled to the scrap place as long as the tank was full of holes so they could see that it wasnt full of water for weight. I got rid on one just a year ago now. No questions asked. Figured there would be regulations coming into play soon if there wern't already.I did cut open a fuel barrel with air chisel to build a waste oil tank.Never did see any sparks. I was nervous though.
I have always wondered if in winter you could just fill them completly full of water and let them freeze, Maybe that would rip them open enough on the ends so you could torch cut them and not worry about an explosion.
Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)