AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finishing steers on Land O Lakes feed in self feeder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 11/28/2010 10:09 (#1457677 - in reply to #1457062)
Subject: RE: Some questions of my own...lousey pellets... and fines in my self feeder

ecmn
Curious - 11/27/2010 20:46

I have not been using the Steakmaker and do not feed this group in a self feeder. I am using the product they call Dairy Feedlot Finisher. I am having problems with the pellets turning to dust and the cattle sort it. If I were mixing this with corn silage I don't think it would be an issue. If any one could suggest a good quality pellet I would like to look into it.

I just started a group on a new Smidley Steer Stuffer. It was suggested that I "crack" the corn by running it slowly through my grinder with the hammers running and no screen; the theory being that the pellets would separate from whole corn too much. I have done 2 loads and reduced the time with the hammers engaged but still have what I think are too many fines in the trough. Should I just use whole corn? I have stood at the top of the feeder while it unloads and used a scoop to level the feeder any way so I don't think the separation should be a problem. For what it's worth I am using the "Impact" Purina pellets in the Steer Stuffer. Thanks.

we rolled the corn and filled the bunk, then would topdress the corn with the pellets, they went at it like candy. in a few minutes all the pellets were eaten and then the steers were just eating the corn. at lunch time we would go sweep up to the cows and get them standing and eating again. same with the steers, at noon go out and sprinkle a little mineral mix onto the corn. it got them up and eating. they had mineral and salt lick blocks but that didnt stop them! then at night rolled corn to refill bunks and top dress again. then before we went in i would toss several flakes of hay to each bunk.

we had a 4 pen unit, about 30 ish steers a year nothing big. only took an hour a day for the feeding, then spent a few minutes at each pen petting the steers and playing with them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)