AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finishing steers on Land O Lakes feed in self feeder
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 11/27/2010 20:46 (#1457062 - in reply to #1456399)
Subject: Some questions of my own...lousey pellets... and fines in my self feeder

NW IA
I have not been using the Steakmaker and do not feed this group in a self feeder. I am using the product they call Dairy Feedlot Finisher. I am having problems with the pellets turning to dust and the cattle sort it. If I were mixing this with corn silage I don't think it would be an issue. If any one could suggest a good quality pellet I would like to look into it.

I just started a group on a new Smidley Steer Stuffer. It was suggested that I "crack" the corn by running it slowly through my grinder with the hammers running and no screen; the theory being that the pellets would separate from whole corn too much. I have done 2 loads and reduced the time with the hammers engaged but still have what I think are too many fines in the trough. Should I just use whole corn? I have stood at the top of the feeder while it unloads and used a scoop to level the feeder any way so I don't think the separation should be a problem. For what it's worth I am using the "Impact" Purina pellets in the Steer Stuffer. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)