AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weight put into next generations opinions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Johndeere7920
Posted 4/6/2024 17:26 (#10696636 - in reply to #10696310)
Subject: RE: Weight put into next generations opinions?

Central Indiana
If my dad never included me in certain aspects and asked my opinion only if it was to be heard I may very well had a different outlook on the farm. I had a friend in school who had older parents and grandparents and was a very much “seen but not heard” raising. Got to high school and wanted to be involved and got ignored. Now he lives 1500 miles away and probably couldn’t tell you if corn always has an even or an odd number of rows around.

Point is, if the kids are smart and think more like an adult and heavily interested make it a priority to get them more involved. Listen to their suggestions and maybe encourage them to make the move on smaller items like picking out seed for a few particular fields or maybe give them a truck load of corn to market for you. Point is give them a task that they can handle that won’t bust the farm if something goes other than expected and give them a chance. Tell them it’s their responsibility to do the research on the seed or whatever it is they want to do and come up with pros and cons of each. Make it a learning experience that will make them feel involved and they will figure out if it’s right for them or not.

Keep young people that want to be involved in ag involved. The worlds already a tough place for young people, try not to make it any tougher. A step ahead for them may mean 2 steps ahead for you in the future. After all their success is a reflection of you and your future success
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)