AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NRCS Woes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clicker
Posted 3/22/2024 15:01 (#10675462 - in reply to #10675421)
Subject: RE: NRCS Woes

Southern IA
bshannon - 3/22/2024 14:34

What a goverment waste of money. I've got a dam that was installed back in the 1970's. We had a issue with some clay slippage in the 1990's, but NRCS says sorry, we don't do repair cost sharing. We had tile installed and paid out of pocket and issue resolved. The last couple years I noticed a big wash out starting and called NRCS. After "studying" the situation for a couple years, they decide I need a new dam. Their estimate of cost was over $30,000, but said they had 100% funding for this. I turn over the plans to a local contractor. I talked with him today. He said I think they are trying to build the Hoover dam. Concrete needed to be inspected when delivered, contractor is to stay on site for 7 days making sure concrete stays damp and cures properly, some type of galvanized angle iron was required; 18" to be exact, but he would have to order a 30' piece at $16,000. He said he couldn't do it for under $45,000 based on what they demanded. And the issue is caused by a rusted out metal culvert outlet. What to they want to replace it with? Another metal culvert. Contractor said he could repair it and install Plastic piping for $12,000, but they aren't interested. No common sense or listening to reason. Now they say, whoops, guess we don't have the funds. I hate to see it wash out, partial cost sharing on repairs would make it affordable, but that's not how the government operates I guess.

it's your field, your problem, get out there and get it fixed, why wait around for the government to resolve your problems. Usually the poorest maintained conservation improvements that need rebuilt were paid for by the government. Not a coincidence this carries through in most things the government provides for people. Get in the game or sit on the bench and watch.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)