AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off-Farm Income/ Day Job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

oldbones
Posted 3/18/2024 19:16 (#10670586 - in reply to #10669848)
Subject: RE: Off-Farm Income/ Day Job

Floyd County, Iowa
I worked full time at a co-op elevator in agronomy and grain for 14 years. Made it work, but that was a killer.
I quit that co-op and went to work for another co-op as a truck driver, part time/full time, for 8 years. I worked 50 to 60 hours a week, so was full time hours, but I went in on a part time basis, meaning that I could take the time I needed to do my farming, without penalty. I just gave them a day or two notice, and let them know about how many days I would be gone. That worked good, since they always need drivers, and I had "my" truck when I came back. They were picky about who got in the seat while I was gone, and I appreciated that, so got back as soon as possible. Some days were 250 miles, but most were 400+ miles.
All that said, I retired year before last, but went back a couple times to help them out when they were short, for a few weeks at a time. Now, I'm done. I miss some of the terminals I hauled to/from, and "my" W900, but not bad enough to go back. I didn't realize how much stress it was causing my system.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)