AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Off-Farm Income/ Day Job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Tomcat
Posted 3/18/2024 11:44 (#10669976 - in reply to #10669927)
Subject: RE: Off-Farm Income/ Day Job

Ludington/Manistee MI area
Sidneyfarmer - 3/18/2024 12:06

Oakley22 - 3/18/2024 10:10

Trophy husband to a Registered Nurse…….

LOL That was my plan when I quit milking cows. After the 08 collapse the state started paying for people to go to nursing school though. We're three miles from the community college. For a while, they were cranking out two classes a year of and everybody who didn't already have a job became a nurse. My wife and anybody with seniority got let go so they could hire new grads for less money. Every place she applied told and all the others with experience, we have this pile of applications to get through first before we get to yours, so experienced nurses had to move away or find another line of work. In her boredom, she stated gardening with a vengeance. She got in to heirloom seeds and plants. She started trading seeds with people all over the world. She had moved in to her second small Harbor Freight greenhouse when the pandemic shut everything down. She started getting requests for plants because for a while, all of the large garden centers were shut down. That whole thing exploded and we had to put up a bigger greenhouse in 21. I'm blown away by how big her enterprise has grown. It's heirloom seed swaps in the fall and winter as well as mail order and internet seed sales, then in May, it's plant sales out of the greenhouse. I'm not saying she makes as much as she did as a nurse, but the stress is totally gone and she works on her own schedule and she really loves what she does. When I go to those seed swap sales with her, I'm telling you, she's literally known all over the world for her collection of heirloom seeds.

What happened to her is very much against the law. I’m thinking a GOOD labor lawyer would have a field day with that scenario assuming she could provide proof.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)