AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fencing Contractor cost extreme
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

turbo diesal
Posted 2/8/2024 20:00 (#10615009)
Subject: Fencing Contractor cost extreme

Use a small square fenced in area that is about 3/4 acre as a cow trap. Its just over a 700ft perimeter. Has high tensile on one side and I want woven on the other so it is more secure for receiving cattle and holding calves. I never have put up woven wire and wanted it done right so I called a fence builder who I heard was decent. Said he lived about 15 minutes away and none of the post would need to be changed or wire taken off since the high tensile was on the inside of the fence he could wrap it around the corners like I figured. I offered to just buy all the materials and have him show up and do the work so he wouldn't try to pad the bill and claim it was material cost but he declined because he said he gets them at a cheaper price.

After showing him it on google earth he called me back with a quote. He wanted roughly 6 dollars a foot and said the job would take 3-5k but he couldn't be sure. I told him that I was thinking it would be about $1000(would have payed more than that if material costs were higher. He said that wouldn't even cover his material cost. He went on about fuel cost and fence staples....

I would gladly pay for all the materials + 500 dollars in labor. I couldn't Imagine this job taking more than a few hours for a experienced worker. He could be making well over $100 a hour but that's not enough apparently

Even though he was polite I just felt wrong having someone think I would pay that much. I guess if he can find people that do good for him.

At rural king red brand is about 60 cents a foot. If there was 700 ft of fence that's $420 dollars in woven material not assuming waist. Than there is fuel and staples are about 10 cents a piece.

Being generous to him $100 for the drive, 10 gallons of fuel to lay the wire
$500 woven wire
$30 in staples

That's about $660 dollars

If he charged me 4k that's $3340 left over for labor. If he worked 8 hours that's $417.5/hour in labor for putting up a fence. Highly skilled mechanics don't make half that. He told me though the job would probably take 4 hours. This is insane. Who else has encountered this?

I guess it time for me to learn how to work with woven wire cant be that hard.....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)