AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New computer what to look for
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Glendon_B
Posted 8/9/2023 22:04 (#10352226 - in reply to #10337176)
Subject: RE: New computer what to look for

Bethel, PA
H3f - 7/30/2023 12:39

I appreciate your response. I am doing something similar with calc. It will fetch current price (delayed) from local elevator and then gives a value for committed and unpriced bushels. Calc can fetch data from websites that use html tables, but it seems if website uses java to fill tables it can’t do it automatically. I am exploring using Base with embedded firebird database for some things.
I use a 2188, so maybe that explains a little :)

It is amazing what Calc can do, but it does take a lot more effort to figure things out than it does with Excel. Right now I have both Calc and Excel on my barn computer and so I use Excel tutorials to figure out how to do something and then after doing it in Excel, I like to figure out how to do the same thing in Calc. You could say that I am just wasting my time to use Calc when Excel can do it better, faster; but, I really enjoy the challenge of it. I am not doing anything nearly as advanced as pulling data from websites or anything like that yet. I never had any formal spreadsheet training so it takes me a while to learn everything.

I wouldn't mind hearing how you pull data from html tables in websites. I never figured out how to get data from websites with Calc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)