AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New computer what to look for
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

H3f
Posted 7/24/2023 00:05 (#10329096 - in reply to #10323504)
Subject: RE: New computer what to look for

I have a Lenovo mini pc with Intel i7-8700T running Linux Mint 21.1. I use Brave browser for internet searching. It blocks quite a few ads and trackers. There are some websites that you have to change settings so site will work. Bank access may be one. I right now have 77 Brave windows open, some with several tabs along with 4 rather spreadsheets open in other windows. Yes, that is too many windows open, but still only occasionally causes problems. Do be aware and maybe google REISUB (similar to Ctl-Alt-Del, maybe more graceful).

For spreadsheets and documents I use LibreOffice, available for Linux and Windows. You could download LibreOffice for Windows and see if it would suit for your purposes. If you use excel for your own spreadsheets, I doubt you would have any problems. LO calc will load and run them. The only problem I have is with excel spreadsheets with macros that are password protected. Otherwise I can usually figure out what needs to be changed if any are needed (rare).

I did set this up originally as a dual boot, but rarely use windows anymore. I have set up a virtual machine (Oracle VM Virtual Box) running an old version of windows for an old program I occasionally need to access. I can then directly copy and paste between Linux and VM rather than reboot.

It does sound like quickbooks can work in a virtual machine: https://www.reddit.com/r/QuickBooks/comments/ffyyf8/quickbooks_in_a_...

I got tired of Microsoft deciding when to download or update.

Pic is supposedly what Brave has blocked. I don't know if or when it was reset.

Edit: By the way Brave is based on Chromium and is available for windows as well. Also, wired and wireless access can be switched off cutting the internet connection.

Edited by H3f 7/24/2023 00:15

(Screenshot from 2023-07-23 23-23-54 (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot from 2023-07-23 23-23-54 (full).png (17KB - 213 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)