AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions on food, nutrition and diet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/4/2023 08:29 (#10215476 - in reply to #10215276)
Subject: RE: PUFA's

Pittsburg, Kansas

True "facts" are hard to come by because a lot of different people report different "facts" according to their definition of "proof". Many of the studies relied on and purported to be "facts" are epidemiology studies that can't even show causation, only correlation. Yet the headlines will shout them out as if they were facts. Even fairly good studies may say one thing in the summary yet when digging into the data it says or implies something different. It kind of boils down to "who do you trust" since most of us don't have the time to actually read all the studies and even if we do, don't have the depth of understanding to understand all we read.

It almost always, for us mere mortals, boils down to which opinions of experts do you trust. I have found a number of doctors on line that I value their opinion. I came about this by listening to a lot of what they say and find it coincides with my personal experience. When several of these doctors and researchers that I trust come up with the same opinion I take it as they might be correct. There are no absolutes. I may change my mind at some future point when I get more or different information.

Dr Paul Mason is one of those doctors I have came to, over the last several years, think of his opinions very highly. He appears to dig very deeply into the research on the subjects he speaks. Here are some of his thoughts on seed/vegetable oils. He is one of the opinions that it is the oxidation products that causes the damage, and that seed oils are very high in oxidation. He makes a very compelling argument in this specific presentation. It is 25 minutes long. Here is a search for his name on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+paul+mason+seed+oils

Dr Chris Knobbe is probably the most outspoken critic of the seed/vegetable oils. He is so outspoken and dedicated to the message I don't put quite as high of marks on his opinion simply because he is so invested in the subject he could be biased. But there isn't anyone else to get all the information he presents in one place. This is one of his latest presentations. He does present it as a hypothesis, not as a fact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-te509vqnFs  It is 41 minutes long.
He has given lots of presentations and interviews over the years.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dr+Chris+Knobbe+seed+oils

There are other doctors/researchers that I follow that agree with the above two, but they draw their conclusions from much the same studies and data. Maybe a "tempest in a teapot"???? I don't know, maybe. But we have been lied to and misled about the dangers of natural fats (animal fats) and eggs (cholesterol) for most of my life time and I have a hard time trusting "official sources" of information that tell us certain foods or other things are "safe and effective". Call me "Once bitten, twice shy".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)