AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions on food, nutrition and diet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/2/2023 11:44 (#10212956 - in reply to #10212862)
Subject: RE: Questions on food, nutrition and diet

Pittsburg, Kansas

It is not a one size fits all. Some people become "fragile" to some foods. My wife and I are to carbohydrates. Me being a full blown diabetic and she reaching the stage of pre-diabetic several years ago, we have to limit them unless we want to be on a list of diabetic medicines and insulin. No thanks. Been there done that.

She has found out she is sensitive to nightshades. She didn't used to be, or at least not that we know of. Potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers and a bunch of other nightshades were staple for us and ate them almost every meal. Had a garden and ate tomatoes till we were stuffed in the summer. Now she can have a slice of tomato once in a while or a small amount of tomato sauce on a pizza and get by with it without much difficulty, but if she eats too much she pays for it later. Took her a few years to figure that out, just what was making her feel less than ideal a lot of the time. Nightshades are definitely one of the foods that bother her. Me, not so much. When we eat out and get hamburgers (without the bun) I will eat her lettuce and tomato that comes with hers and will give her some of my onion. She loves onions and that may be a slight downfall for her but does not want to give them up.

Did she just get old (pushing 70)? Was it because of the various organs she has had surgically removed? Did her gut finally just get tired of some abuse and finally give up???? We don't know and probably never will. But some foods bother her now that seemingly never used to. Just life I guess. We have learned to manage around the problems quite well.

Good friend just went into the hospital. Going to have a toe removed (hopefully not the foot). Extremely sensitive to carbohydrates but will not listen to anything other than what doctors tell. They say just use insulin and medicine to control blood glucose for diabetes. Big as a truck. Insulin is a growth hormone. It is a fat storage hormone. Take shots of it (to control blood glucose) and guess what happens? Glucose levels are controlled but fat is gained big time and a person gets as big as a truck. Been there, done that. But that is conventional medical wisdom and standard of care. Eat less and move more is their weight loss mantra (and we see how successful that has been with the public for the last 40-50 years). But I digress.......................

Edited by John Burns 5/2/2023 11:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)