AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tartar sauce
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

thinkstoomuch
Posted 12/22/2022 20:05 (#9998695 - in reply to #9998568)
Subject: RE: Tartar sauce

Kettle Moraine, WI
PPLC - 12/22/2022 19:19

Many years ago our local tavern had a catfish buffet once a month. The "sauce" was better that any tarter sauce I had ever had. Finally one night I ask the the ol gal what it was. She laughed a bit and told me it was just mayo, a little minced onion, and a little yellow mustard. I have tried to mix up a few batches over the years, but I have never made it to taste as well as I remember hers's!

There is a reason for that:

https://eatfullbellydeli.com/blog/fact-food-tastes-better-someone-el...

NY Times Magazine quotes a well-known psychologist, one Daniel Kahneman, who explains, "When you make your own sandwich, you anticipate its taste as you're working on it. And when you think of a particular food for a while, you become less hungry for it later. It's a kind of specific satiation, just as most people find room for dessert when they couldn't have another bite of their steak. The sandwich that another person prepares is not 'preconsumed' in the same way."See? No pre-consumption! So when you check out the menu at Full Belly Deli and your mouth starts watering in gleeful anticipation of today's smoking special or your regular go-to sando, you maintain that feeling right up until you get to eat it because you aren't doing the work to build it. Or, in technical terms, you're avoiding extended exposure to the stimulus - the sando - which increases your physiological and behavioral reaction of wanting to get that thing in your belly right quick.But we think there's a little more to it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)