AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting cotton in minimum till. Which planter is best
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 5/21/2009 09:32 (#719806 - in reply to #719695)
Subject: Re: Planting cotton in minimum till. Which planter is best

East Central Arkansas
I am running just over 5 mph. I plant in B 2 with a JD 4760 at about 2000 rpm.
Last years crop most of it had a paratill run on it without the busters in the Fall and was rebedded in the Spring. The first fields I planted were fields that the back water didn't go over and the planter was doing a terrible job. During the wet period we had from the 7th to the 18th of May I installed the set of beet runner V slice inserts on the planter and when we finally we back to planting it seemed like I had solved my planter problems. I was getting a perfect stand and it looked like every seed came up. This was in everything from notill to fresh beds.
I didn't run the paratill any last Fall because of the way it tends to lift the stalk up in the row and when I rebedded in the Spring I didnt seem to cover the stalk as good as I wanted to.
The 8 row Sprayrite bedder roller I use most of the time, especially after the first year of rebedding over the old row, doesn't do a consistant enough job with one pass for me to plant behind and even if it does I have a higher bed than I want to plant on. Lack of a big enough tractor to pull this thing has a lot to do with how it performs sometimes. Even if we do make a bed we want to plant on any rainfall to amount to any thing crust the soil so it usually plants better if we doall it.
I know what your talking about planting deeper but that 2 in cotton is allfull scary. I have been planting at a higher seeding rate,in years past, to help to compensate some for the erratic planting dept but this year I cut back to 2 seeds every 9 inches or about 6.3 acres to the bag of DP seed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)