AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting cotton in minimum till. Which planter is best
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 5/21/2009 08:51 (#719767 - in reply to #719638)
Subject: Re: Planting cotton in minimum till. Which planter is best

East Central Arkansas
I haven't tried the in furrow press wheel but some that have tried it around here had poblems with it balling up if they got in wet sticky areas of a field. I do have the JD beet runner atachment for help with opening , firming and keeping the furrow clean. This is the V slice type thing that replaces the seed tube gaurd.The closing system doesn't seem to be the problem. For one or maybe two years I used a set of pinch wheels insted and had a lot of the same problems. I had the Yettter spike closing wheels. The spikes were really to long for shallow planting cotton and I think the best combination I ended up with was running one spike wheel and one rubber wheel. On the cotton closing wheel system I do run a set of spiked closing disk that are made for them. These seem to work good in notill as well as tilled ground.
I have a brand new complete set of the pinch wheel set up for this planter that has never been used and is still in the factory crate. The set up I had on before was the Yetter sheel metal style mounts. The new JD are the cast ones.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)