AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting cotton in minimum till. Which planter is best
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 5/20/2009 22:58 (#719515)
Subject: Planting cotton in minimum till. Which planter is best

East Central Arkansas

For the most part we use a minimum till practice on our cotton acres. Our normal practice is to shred the stalks in the Fall and bed over the old row in the Spring. At planting time we will drag off with a doall and plant. We are using a JD 1700 Max Emerge Plus planter. This planter has the adjustable heavy duty down pressure springs and notill coulters. The coulters are the bubble type. At times we have a lot of trouble getting a consistant planting dept. We have a hard time even in moist soils planting as shallow as cotton should be planted with out losing our moisture. This planter has the cotton press wheel closing system.

The thing that I think that causes the most problem is that the old cotton stalks break off just below ground level and the coulters and disk openers will not cut them. They just seem to bounce off. It seems that most of the time my planter does a perfect job of being right on the old row. At times I have found that I can actually do a better job without the coulters. This planter normally does better in complete notill situations than in what I described above.

All this to ask a simple question. Have any of you used the Case IH planter in these conditions and have you compared it side by side with the JD in like conditions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)