AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain bagging (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 4/21/2009 21:01 (#688691 - in reply to #687969)
Subject: RE: Grain bagging (pics)

Grand Rapids, MI
jasonl - 4/21/2009 08:12
  You must get pretty poor mileage, I figured it costs me less than $100 to haul 23,000 bu from a quarter 10 miles.

Whoa, I think you need to re-do your math. Or else I will give you all the hauling you could ever ask for at that rate. I will pay you double that, want to put 20 trucks on the road?

Lets go through the math. 23,000bu moving 10 miles. Lets assume 1,000bu on a truck. Thats 23 loads, 10 miles one way=20 round trip (doubt you are getting a back-haul at that distance :-)) so 460 miles total. Now lets assume 6MPG (might be optimistic given the short run) thats 76g of Diesel, at $2.15 a gallon here currently thats $165 for the fuel alone.

Now lets take the labor for the driving portion only, not even figuring loading and unloading time. I would say for that short a run about 30 mins per trip, so 12 hours or so. At $20 per hour thats $240.

So now we are up to $405 and thats just for fuel and labor. We have not yet figured the cost of the actual truck. If you would own it anyway and this would be a slack time, you could argue to just take the marginal portion of depreciation and maintenance. Driving it more is surely going to use brakes/tires/etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)