AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain bagging (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mongoheadmonster
Posted 4/21/2009 00:50 (#687792 - in reply to #687745)
Subject: Re: Grain bagging (pics)

Here is my situation and rational behind the bagging.

1. It is instant storage that I will never out grow, no matter how much land, how many combines, or how big of yield the crop is. And is great for rented land!

2. The bags cost $.06/BUS. The bags in the photos are 200'long X 9'dia, holding about 8000BU. $480 to store grain. I can't haul grain from a section of land 10 miles away 1 way for $480 with fuel what it is.

3. In 2007 I puchased a 21,000BU grain bin (cement floor with air, u-trough and sweep). It costed around $50,000 ( about $2.40/BU) when it was all said and done less the power. Smaller hoppered bottom bins are $3/BU. They hold the same grain as the $.06/BU Bag.

4. Our aging tandem trucks can't keep up to the modern high cap combines. But the bagger sure can.

5. Even if I did have lots of truck power, it takes decent man power to run them, and that's tough to find nowadays.

But the full bags take supervision. You can't just fill them and forget about them. You got to watch for the wildlife like deer, elk, and ravens. Holes need to be patched as soon as you find them. Vandals could be a problem in some areas too. These things can leave your nice neat full bags a tattered mess that's not very fun to clean up.

Edited by Mongoheadmonster 4/21/2009 00:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)