AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting Grain Boxes on old Highway Tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 3/9/2009 09:13 (#637102 - in reply to #636136)
Subject: Re: Putting Grain Boxes on old Highway Tractors

I bought a state S1900 (med duty, but double framed) truck with a dt466 and allison 654 and put a 20' aluminum box (old box) with a sissor hoist and it seems to work fine. The only problem is that I would have been better off not pushing the rear suspension back on the frame as far since it seems to load the front pretty heavy (we added a little frame at the back for the bed hinge pin). The bed came off a burnt chevy C70 (?) truck and I used the same dimensions - I think my rear hendrickson is much stiffer than the chevys and tends to transfer weight forward. Anyway, the longer wheelbase doesn't help steering one bit and I'd do it different next time. We've hauled way too much (700bu w/ heavy corn) and it didn't really care. I think my unloaded weight is around 17K.

We are pretty close the elevator so the truck works out fine. I have some seed beans that have to go 30 miles, but I'm not sure I'd want to make that trip repeated every day during harvest. I think a semi chassis has a nicer ride.

My truck was pretty cheap so I'm not sure how it would compare to the single axle tractor/trailer setup cost. Crowbar - what kind of money do the single axle hoppers cost?

Thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)