AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom Baling and Raking?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/1/2008 08:32 (#495359 - in reply to #495004)
Subject: Hope I can quote you on that.

Little River, TX
Paul and Bruce I am going to print off your contributions and show it to the Custom people here in Central Texas.

Stuffing the baler full of hay less than a minute is really wadding hay.
I was using string tie not net wrap because that is what most of the custom people still use here. Though the fellow who RB's for me now uses net wrap. I have not timed him yet because the last two years hay baling has been a real challenge.
I probably do not build the windrows he needs to get that much hay out in an hour. As for RB equipment cost, I only looked at what the two custom operators I know use. Your equipment cost may be higher but your productivity is also higher.
I am set up to square bale and only RB when I run out of room in the barn for squares. When the tornado came through and took out my hay barn I had most of my hay round baled.
Here with our climate there is only a 2 hour window when I want my hay to be RB ed. That is how long it is from too damp to bale to excessive leaf shatter.

A few years ago I had a 4 ton cutting and had it RB ed. I thought he would burn up his slip clutch. To bale that cutting into square bales I would have needed to bale in one of the creeper gears.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 11/1/2008 08:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)