AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Geo thermal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 3/25/2008 21:55 (#341818)
Subject: Geo thermal

Rivers, MB
I've read numerous posts on here regarding geothermal heating for houses. Usually the setups have been for a single house. Newguy, liked your pics that you included with yours and the posts with your heating costs. How are you guys finding it. Does it pay for just one house. My parents are planning on building a house on the main yard so we're contemplating what kind of heating to use. We're hearing around 25-30000 Cdn to setup a geothermal system to heat one house. Gut feel tells me that is going to take many years to save enough to pay the upfront cost. However, our yard has 3 houses on it and an insulated shop that we heat in the winter. Could we heat all 4 buildings with the same geothermal system (shop would be lower temp than houses). I'm thinking one main ground loop (vertical or horizontal) coming together to 1 spot and then split 4 ways. Is this feasible? Appreciate any web links to good geothermal sites that are dealing in cold weather climates (southern Manitoba). Currently, we're heating everything with electric furnaces.

Then to add to that, the post earlier today about removing your house from the grid got me thinking some more about the geothermal thing. Could you run a small generator (tractor or diesel engine) to provide electricity to run the geothermal pump and lights for the yard in case of storm. That, along with a few woodstoves would make one pretty independent if a brutal storm took out our power for a few days or the end of the world happened like is being predicted on the marketing page!!! LOL Just kidding on the end of the world part.

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)