AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drainage question??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 3/21/2008 07:46 (#338447 - in reply to #338298)
Subject: Re: Drainage question??

Ethridge, TN
Well, that is a new one on me, as I'd never heard about not being able to put a tile outlet into the ditch. Course, I haven't tried to put tile in all 50 states yet, and could easily figure that each and everyone would have to be different, just to make it more interesting. Guess one should make a stop by the county garage/office to see if they have a stipulation on it.

On the original poster's second question about why not a hoe??? Yes, depending on how much fall/grade you have to work with, you could end up with a very slow running tile by using a hoe to put it in. Even if they are laser shooting it by hand as they dig it, there can still be spots, depending on just how much work the guy in the trench is willing to do. If hoe operator gets to deep, unless that spot is fixed with gravel, then the tube is going to settle, cause they'll never get a good bottom in that spot trying to put the dirt back and pack it. Not deep enough, depends on how good the guy in the trench likes to use a shovel, rather than lean on it. Just in simple terms, the better the grade is maintained, the better the tile is going to work. A laser controlled machine with a good operator can give you the best chance of that happening.

The other part is, that a tile machine has a boot on it with what is referred to as a groover. This will shape a rounded bed for the tile to lay in, which helps to extend the life of your tile, as it gives it some support. A flat bottomed trench, and a round tile, allows the tile sides to deflect alot, and makes it easier for it to be crushed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)