AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

spreading p and k
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 2/24/2008 12:16 (#318087 - in reply to #317976)
Subject: Re: spreading p and k

Aberdeen MS
I think what most get confused over is a "replacement" of X amount of a broadcast nutrient with banding a different amount.

In the above example, I highly doubt (may be wrong, been before), that Bill M would rec/advocate to "replace" all P205 requirements with applications with the planter with the seed, depending on what the soil levels are to start with.

U of MN has done studies where they show that by banding P in the top 3 - 4" of soil OVER THE COURSE OF TIME, will actually bring the nutrient level of the soil UP with rates reduced from normal broadcast rates.

The way it was presented rivals your experience Bill. Over saturate the band so the crop is utilizing the "free" nutrient from the band with the soil profile tying up it's normal exchange for slow release at a later date. As time goes on and moving your band every year or 2 years, one ends up with a very high "potential" of nutrients that will normally time release in subsequent years.

Too many on this board IMO, take things presented with an all or none attitude. If reduced banding rates are utilized, one will eventually reduce the nutrient level to 0. In some instances, that may very well be true. But I don't believe that to the case 100% of the time in 100% of all locations.

I've asked more than one lab/soil scientist when the the recommendations are given for a particular soil sample, "is the value of stover left from last year taken into account for the recs, and is the natural ability of a soil to "rejuvenate" taken into account? Or is it because the normal practice from years and years back to help the fertilizer plant make sales the basis!" Every time so far, they have not given me an answer yes or no nor an explanation. Usually it's a blank look. The closest I've gotten to an answer was when I presented those questions to George Rehm a couple years ago, he replied "We have a lot of educating to do!". Still wasn't an answer that I was looking for but it makes me wonder.

If one has normally put down 50 units of P broadcast in the past, and now bands 35 units for 150 bushel/acre corn, using U of Mn's data, theoretically, with the left over stover plus the soils natural ability to rejuvenate itself, test levels MAY increase over the years.

That does not in any way shape or form mean that one cannot stop testing and managing, it in fact presents the need to do a higher level of management in the future.

Just my opinion as always, attempting to stimulate thinking outside the box from we've been led to believe as "truth" for years and years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)