AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Tag retention
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BrentOntario
Posted 1/6/2008 01:58 (#276711 - in reply to #273752)
Subject: RE: Best Tag retention

I switched to using Z-tags for number tags. Definetely no tag system is perfect, or even nearly so. You will still notice missing tags once in a while. I have taggers for both Z-tag and Allflex (needed for the RFID) Sure you have to buy another tagger but it's still cheaper then the Afflex which is a ridiculous price since mandatory tagging came into effect.

In my calves I use both the Allflex RFID (small little button) and Z-tag (with large numbers) for redundancy against tag loss. And Z-tag only in cows.

The one-piece Z-tag is somewhat better at retention, and much better during application.

1. Tags slip out of the ALLflex clip too easily, getting lost in the mud when the beastie tries to knock it out of your hand when you get close to the ear.

2. On a two piece, better make sure you are accurate when squeezing; if you miss the ear or it moves away you will have clicked the two halves together and ruined the tag. With a one-piece you can just try again.

3. The Z-tag applicator has a swiviling pin. Squeeze the tool hard, but don't let go just yank it away from the ear. The Allflex tagger you must let off the pressure to release the tag, by that time the beastie twisted its head and the tagger goes flying. (Unless you have the big expensive tagger with the spring-retracted pin.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)