AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tempted in strip till...got questions!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 9/10/2007 20:07 (#201615 - in reply to #201248)
Subject: Re: Tempted in strip till...got questions!

Ethridge, TN
Ran both stalks and bean stubble with the rig. The 8 shank sub-tiller was hanging on the back of a Blu-jet Landtracker. I had an underslung bar on the front of the landtracker that had coulters positioned on it so that they ran 5" off either side of the shank, and the coulter that ran in front of the shank. Made brackets to hang a heavy set of closing disks which pulled the soil back in behind the shank to form a bit of a mound. Was using the spring points on the sub-tiller so that there wasn't excessive boil of dirt coming off the shank. The disk assembly was set-up so that it would catch what came off the shank and pull it back.

Running stalks, we split the middles, so the stalks didn't give us much problem. The coulters would dice them enough that they would mix and compost. As I said in the other post, we did have to do it in the fall, as any spring trials brought on all sorts of problems.

Now, I will say, there that have been leaps and bounds made with what is available for doing strip till now-a-days, and your units are right in the top of what is available. But, sometimes one has to experiment with what is readily available for a trial to make sure the idea is going to fit the way they farm, and their particular conditions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)